New Fort Brady
New Fort Brady (1893-1944) - A U.S. Army post established in 1893 to replace the first Fort Brady. The original Fort Brady was abandoned in 1892-93 and the New Fort Brady was completed in 1893. The new site retained the official Fort Brady designation but became known as New Fort Brady to differentiate it from the first site. Abandoned in 1944 at the end of World War II.
New Fort Brady History
The decision to move the old post was made and a new site, on higher ground, was selected. Construction did not begin until 1883 and was not completed until 1893. The move to the new site was completed in 1894. The new site retained the Fort Brady name but became known as New Fort Brady.
New Fort Brady expanded during World War II to accommodate some 20,000 troops in tents and temporary WWII barracks. The 702nd military police battalion was put in place in 1941 to provide protection for the locks, canals and navigation channels at Sault Ste. Marie. Cold weather maneuvers and training were also conducted. Fort Brady was deactivate 25 Nov 1944 and declared surplus on 1 Oct 1945. The second Fort Brady site is now the campus of Lake Superior State University.
The New Fort Brady site is now is on the campus of Lake Superior State University and has 14 of the original fort buildings repurposed and in use. These include the row houses, Administration building, Fletcher Center, Brady Hall, South Hall, Brown Hall, East Hall and the Child Care Center.
Both sites are located in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, Michigan.
Visited: 28 Aug 2013