North Redoubt - Garrison
North Redoubt - Garrison (1779-1783) - A Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 in present day Putnam County, New York. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1783.
North Redoubt - Garrison History
Part of Fortress West Point.
One of two redoubts and associated gun batteries built as a part of the final expansion of Fortress West Point in 1779. Construction underway by July 1779 included the redoubt with a bombproof, magazine and three associated gun batteries. Included raised parapets on the side facing the South Redoubt for protection if the South Redoubt fell to the enemy. Required a complement of 150 men.
Described by Major General Benedict Arnold on 25 Sept 1780: "built of stone four feet high; above the stone, wood filled in with earth, very dry, no ditch, a bomb proof, 3 batteries w/o the fort, a poor abatis"
Three external batteries mounting three 18 pounders and three 12 pounders.
Some remains. Both the North and South Redoubts accessible by marked public trail from parking lot on Snake Hill Road. Both North and South Redoubts shown on map.