North West Mounted Police
North West Mounted Police (1873-Present) - Established by an Act of the Canadian Parliament on 23 May 1873 to bring law and order to the Northwest Territories of Canada, now Alberta and Saskatchewan.
The force was established with about 300 men under the command of Colonel James Macleod. This force was marched west from Duferin, Manitoba, and established a fort on an island in the Oldman River near the present day town of Fort Macleod in southern Alberta. This post was later moved to a more suitable location. From this post the men were distributed in small detachments to communities needing a law enforcement presence.
- 1873 - North West Mounted Police (NWMP)
- 1904 - Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWCP)
- 1920 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)