Ogden Fort (1854-1857) - A large Mormon settler fort established in 1854 during the Walker Indian War in Ogden, Weber County, Utah. Abandoned as a fortification about 1857 after the war.
History of Ogden Fort
The fort was built by citizens of the city as a protective wall surrounding a 42 block area in the center of present day Ogden. Each citizen was assigned a portion of the wall and those who could not work (aged or infirm) were subsidized by city funds. The wall was built eight feet high of tamped earth on a stone base. It was six foot thick at the base narrowing to eighteen inches at the top. By the time the threat had passed in 1857 the walls on three sides of the fort were complete but only a short a short portion of the east wall was complete, it was never finished.
Abandoned as a fortification about 1857 after the end of the war and after the hostile Indian threat had subsided. By 1871 most of the wall was gone, reused for other construction projects.
Marker only at Union Station on Wall Street in Ogden, Weber County, Utah.
Visited: 6 Jul 2015