Pennsylvania State Arsenal
Pennsylvania State Arsenal (1874-19??) - Built in 1874 to replace an existing Arsenal building in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. In use as the State Public Works Complex.
The original State Arsenal in Harrisburg was erected in 1817 on Capitol hill just south of the site of the original brick statehouse. In 1874 a larger facility was built at the current location, further from the Capitol and on higher ground. The new, larger, arsenal was built with a central tower fronting a large two story building. The original tower and building was topped with a mansard roof in the style of the times. The original appearance seemed somewhat disproportionate with the central tower dominating the building. In 1914, the building portion of the structure was replaced by the present three story building. The current structure has crenellated parapets, creating a more fortress-like appearance. The original mansard roof on both the tower and the building were removed.
One roadside marker on Herr Street in front of the Arsenal Building. Currently the State Public Works Complex in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Visited: 19 Apr 2012
Pennsylvania State Arsenal Picture Gallery