|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Presidio LaBahia (1749-1842) - Founded in 1749 by Lieutenant-General Jose de Escandon The purpose of Presidio La Bahia was to protect the interests of the Spanish crown in the area. Known at various times as Presidio LaBahia (1749), Fort LaBahia, Fort Goliad (1835) and Fort Defiance (1) (1836)
Presidio LaBahia History
This fort began as a Spanish mission and a Presidio built in the fall of 1749. The next year the fort consisted of a large barracks, forty temporary houses built of wood and caliche, a captain's house and a chapel. The garrison numbered fifty men and had had six eight-pound cannons.
The post remained a Presidio after Mexico won it's independence from Spain and under the Republic of Texas.
Owned by the Catholic Church since 1853 and known as Presidio LaBahia, it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1967 and is closely associated with Goliad State Historical Park. The fort was rebuilt to its 1836 appearance, based on documents and archaeological evidence.
Location: Located one mile south of Goliad, Texas on US Highway 183/77A
Maps & Images Lat: 28.645904 Long: -97.382226
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 139
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 160
- The Texas Handbook OnLine
- Early History
Presidio LaBahia Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!