Presidio of Santa Cruz
Presidio of Santa Cruz (1776-1780) - A Spanish Presidio established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Connor in present day Cochise County, Arizona. Abandoned in 1780. Also known as Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate and Quiburi Presidio.
A Spanish Presidio established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Connor, as part of a network of presidios and missions in present-day southern Arizona. These presidios were under constant attack from hostile Apache Indians and were unable to adequately protect themselves much less build and protect any surrounding missions. The southern Arizona presidios included:
The last commander of the Presidio of Santa Cruz summarized the reasons for abandoning that post:
The post was abandoned by 1780.
In the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, Cochise County, Arizona. A stone foundation and a few adobe wall remnants are all that remain. A 1.2 mile hike from the parking area.