Quebec Martello Tower 3
|Quebec Martello Tower 3 (1808-1871) - A British colonial Martello Tower established by Ralph Bruyeres in 1808 in present day Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Abandoned in 1871 as the British military left Canada.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Quebec.
Construction began in the summer of 1808 on four Martello towers to guard the westward land approaches to Fortress Quebec. The four towers were designed as an interlocking advanced defense system that could be destroyed from the fort if overrun.
The towers were completed by the start of the War of 1812 but they never were attacked. The towers were abandoned for military purposes when British troops departed Canada in 1871 but were used for other purposes after that.
Tower 3 was destroyed in 1904 to make way for the McKenzie Memorial Building of the Jeffery Hale Hospital.
Destroyed in 1904. Site is on the north side of Rene-Levesque Blvd between Turnbull St. and Claire-Fontaine St. in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Site is overbuilt with the McKenzie Memorial Building. No markers or interpretive signs and no period guns or mounts.
Visited: 21 Jul 2013