Redoubt 1 - West Point
Redoubt 1 - West Point (1779-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 on the present day military reservation of the United States Military Academy in Orange County, New York. One of eight such redoubts established to protect Fortress West Point. Abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war.
Part of Fortress West Point.
Designed as a classic hexagonal redoubt by Colonel Thaddeus Kosciusko with sides of about 30' requiring about 180 men for its defense. Described by Benedict Arnold (25 Sep 1780) as “No cannon in the works, a slight and single abbatis, no ditch or picket. Cannon on two batteries, No bomb proofs.”
The redoubt had two detached gun batteries, one southwest of the redoubt (#2) and the other southeast of the redoubt (#1). These two batteries were described in 1780 as having one 12-pounder and four 9-pounder cannons.
Stabilized remains on the military reservation of the United States Military Academy, Orange County, New York. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.
Visited: 30 May 2013