Redoubt Schofield (1863-1866) - A U.S. Civil War redoubt established in 1863 as a part of Fortress Rosecrans in present day Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee. Named Redoubt Schofield after Brigadier General John M. Schofield, (Cullum 1585). The redoubt was abandoned in 1866 at the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.
History of Redoubt Schofield
After the Union army occupied Murfreesboro, Tennessee in January 1863, Major General William S. Rosecrans, (Cullum 1115), Commander of the Army of the Cumberland, gave his chief engineer Brigadier General USV James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), the job of designing and constructing what became Fortress Rosecrans. Morton planned a large enclosed fortification of over 200 acres that occupied both the north and south sides of the Stones River at Murfreesboro and included an important road junction and a rail line.
Lunette Negley, Lunette Stanley and Battery Cruft were located by General Morton on the north side of Stones River within the fortress to protect the commissary stores. Redoubt Schofield was located behind these three strong points to protect them.
Redoubt Schofield and the other three redoubts at Fortress Rosecrans were earthworks, each containing a central cross-shaped blockhouse that provided a final stronghold in case the works were overrun. Each redoubt was considered a fort in itself and the defense plan indicated that each should be manned continuously with doors barred and with sufficient numbers to defend it. The commander was to be held responsible for a vigorous resistance to any enemy attack.
An inspection report dated 14 Jan 1864 indicated that the battery at Redoubt Schofield was under the command of 1st Lieutenant William H. Leamy, 19th U.S. Infantry and was armed with one 30 pounder Parrot, four 24 pounder siege cannons and one 6 pounder field gun.
Redoubt Schofield was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.