Selfridge Army Air Defense Command Post D-15DC
D-15DC Selfridge Air Force Base (1954-1974) A U.S. Army NIKE System AADCP command post collocated with a USAF SAGE radar site Z-20 on Selfridge Air Force Base, Michigan. Deactivated in 1974.
History of D-15DC Selfridge Air Force Base
Established in 1954. The Army command post D-15DC evolved with the NIKE System housing a FSG-1 (Missile Master) and later a FSQ-51 (Missile Mentor) acquisition, launch and guidance systems. The building that housed the Army computer equipment and command post came to be known as the Missile Master Blockhouse. The Army deactivated the Selfridge D-15DC site in June 1974 and the collocated USAF Radar site was also deactivated that same year on 1 Sep 1974. The command post building survived until 2005 when it was demolished.
Besides the FSQ-51 and FSG-1 computer equipment the Army also maintained two FPS-6 height finder radars. These height finders were in addition to the two USAF height finders. Search radar data from the USAF FPS-35 was share by the Army and USAF computer systems and fed to the SAGE Direction Center DC-06. The SAGE Direction Center would feed track assignments back to the Army command post for missile intercepts.
After abandonment of the Missile Master Blockhouse (Building 1050) in 1974 the blockhouse was renovated and put into use as a military air traffic control RAPCON facility that operated into the 1990s.
Missile Master building was destroyed in 2005. The site is next to the Selfridge Air Museum. The collocated sites are outlined in the map below.