Sophia's Fort (1845-1847) - A settlers fort established in 1845 by German settlers led by German Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels in present day New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas. Named for the Prince's fiancee, Princess Sophia Salm-Salm. Abandoned in 1847.
Sophia's Fort History
On 28 April 1845, Sophienburg or Sophia's Fort, was begun. This fort was never completed and only a blockhouse was constructed. The blockhouse became Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels residence until he left for Germany on 15 May 1845, never to return. The blockhouse was destroyed by a storm in 1886.
The Sophienburg Museum is now located on the site of the fort in New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas
Visited: 25 Nov 2011