South Fort (1862-1865) - A Confederate fortification established in 1862 as a part of the defenses of Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi. Captured by Union forces in 1863. Abandoned at the end of the U.S. Civil War in 1865.
Built in 1862 by Confederate forces as a part of the defense of Vicksburg. This fort was the southernmost position of the Confederate defensive ring and had a commanding view of the southern Mississippi River approach to the city. This position on the Confederate right flank could fire upon Union ships coming upriver and on Warrenton Road to counter a land attack. South Fort mounted some of the heaviest siege guns on the Confederate side including a 10" mortar that was particularly devastating.
The siege of Vicksburg was over on 4 Jul 1863 when Confederate General John C. Pemberton surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant and Union forces occupied Vicksburg for the remainder of the war.
Part of the Vicksburg National Military Park in Warren County, Mississippi. Period guns and carriages are in place.
Visited: 3 Dec 2009