Battery Rawlins, Battery Revere and Battery Wilhelm were built starting in 1897 and completed 1899 as a single large unnamed battery with four 10" and two 12" rifles, all Barbette mounted. The large Battery was initially named Battery Wilhelm in 1902 when it was accepted for service and administrative separated into three batteries in 1906. The part that became Battery Rawlins was originally armed with two 10" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1893 Barbette carriages. The part that became Battery Revere was armed similarly to Battery Rawlins. Battery Wilhelm became the middle battery armed with two 12" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1897 Altered Gun Lift Carriages.