Weippe Prairie Camp
Weippe Prairie Camp (1806) - A Lewis and Clark Expedition Camp established in June 1806 on Weippe Prairie, Clearwater County, Idaho. Abandoned, reoccupied and abandoned for good in June 1806.
Established on 10 Jun 1806 as the Lewis and Clark Expedition moved from Long Camp and prepared to cross back over the Bitterroot Mountains on the return trip. The expedition was held at the Weippe Prairie Camp at the beginning of the Lolo Trail waiting for the snows to melt and for the mountain grass to grow long enough to support the horses.
The first attempt to cross the Bitterroot Mountains began on 15 Jun 1806 but the expedition was turned back by bad conditions and returned to the Weippe Prairie Camp on 19 Jun 1806.
The second attempt began on 24 Jun 1806 with sixty-five horses, supplies and a number of Nez Perce guides. The expedition was able to make the crossing in six days, arriving at Travelers Rest Camp on 30 Jun 1806.
No visible remains. Camp location identified as two miles south of the present town of Weippe, in the meadows surrounding Jim Ford Creek.
Visited: 22 Jun 2017