Yaquina Bay Blockhouse (1856-1856) - Established 1856 by Lt. Philip H. Sheridan and a detachment of troops from Fort Yamhill. Disassembled and floated upriver to the Siletz Indian Agency in 1858.
Established to protect the Indian agent at Yaquina Bay. The blockhouse was erected on the burial grounds of the Yaquina Indians and over 50 burial canoes were sent out to sea to make room for the blockhouse.
Location: In the Olsonville neighborhood of Newport, Oregon,
near the mouth of Olson Creek.
Maps & Images
Lat: 44.63389 Long: -124.04389
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google Yaquina Bay Blockhouse
- Elevation: '
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 138
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 670
- OR0197 - Yaquina Bay Blockhouse