Zink's Fort (1845-1847) - A settlers fort established in 1845 by German settlers led by German Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels in present day New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas. Named for Nicolaus Zink, the surveyor who laid out the town of New Braunfels. Abandoned in 1847. Also known as Zinkenburg.
Zink's Fort was a temporary Indian defense built by German settlers in March 1845 on a bluff overlooking Blieders Creek and the south bank of the Comal River. The fort was a log stockade defense that included two bastions armed with cannons. On 28 April 1845 a second fort was begun nearby called Sophienburg or Sophia's Fort, named after the Prince's fiancee, Princess Sophia Salm-Salm. The second fort was never completed and only a blockhouse was constructed. This blockhouse became the Prince's residence until he left for Germany on 15 May 1845, he never returned.
No remains or marker, on the site of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, at the corner of Zink St. and Castell Ave., New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas.
Visited: 25 Nov 2011