3rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry
3rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry (1898-1899) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at Springfield May 7 to 10 with 47 officers and 983 enlisted men.
- assigned to Second Brigade, First Division, First Army Corps
- Left Springfield May 14; arrived at Chickamauga, Ga., May 16
- Left Chickamauga July 23, arrived at Newport News, Va., July 24
- Sailed from Newport News on steamship St. Lauis July 28; arrived Porto Rico July 31; landed at Arroyo August 2; participated in Porto Rican campaign
- Sailed from Porto Rico on steamship Roumania November 4; arrived at New York City November 9, and at Springfield, Ill., November 11
- Furloughed for sixty days
Mustered out at various points in the State of Illinois January 13 to 24, 1899, with 50 officers and 1,223 enlisted men. Casualties while in service: Officers-died of disease, 1. Enlisted men-died of disease, 42; deserted, 1.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581