8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry (1898-1899) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at Springfield, Ill., July 12 to 21, 1898, with 43 officers and 1,226 enlisted men.
- Left Springfield August 8; arrived at New York City August 11
- left New York City on steamship Yale August 11; arrived at Santiago, Cuba, August 16; arrived at San Luis, Cuba, August 19
- Sailed from Santiago on steamship Chester March 10,1899; arrived at Newport News, Va., March 15, and at Chicago, Ill., March 18
Mustered out of the service of the United States at Chicago, Ill., April 3, 1899, with 46 ofllcers and 1,180 enlisted men. Causalities while in service: Officers-none. Enlisted men-died of disease, 16; killed by accident, 2; murdered, 1; deserted, 9.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581