8th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry
8th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (1898-1899) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at South Framingham May 11 to 14,1898, with 47 officers and 896 enlisted men.
- Assigned to Second Brigade, Third Division, First Army Corps, May 19
- Assigned to Second Brigade, Second Division, First Army Corps, October 7
- Left South Framingham May 16; arrived at Chickamauga, Ga., May 19
- Left Chickamauga August 23; arrived at Lexington, Ky., August 24
- Left Lexington November 11; arrived at Americus, Ga., November 12
- Companies B, L, G, and M left Americus January 6,1899; arrived at Savannah, Ga., January 7
- Sailed from Savannah on steamship "Obdam" January 7; arrived at Matanzas, Cuba, January 10
- Companies A, C, D, E, F, H, I, and K left Americus January 8; arrived at Savannah January 9
- Sailed from Savannah on steamship "Michigan" January 10; arrived at Matanzas, Cuba, January 13.
- Regiment left Matanzas on steamship "Meade" April 4; arrived at Boston, Mass., April 9
Mustered out of the serVICe of the United States at Boston, Mass., April 28, 1899, with 46 officers and 1,161 enlisted men. Casualties while in service: Officers--died of disease, 1. Enlisted men-died of disease, 30; deserted, 15.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581