Battery Duane (1896-1915) - Battery Duane was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 8 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Wadsworth (1), Richmond County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 43, 4 Apr 1900, after Brigadier General James C. Duane, U.S. Army, a native of New York, a distinguished officer of the U.S. Civil War, and Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army, 1886-1888. Battery construction started in 1895, was completed 1896 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 16 Jun 1896 at a cost of $ 267,513.39. Deactivated in 1915.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with five 8" M1888 guns mounted on M1894 disappearing carriages. The battery was apparently built with Rosendale cement which was not suitable for interior construction. Three of the emplacements (#3,#4 and #5) were first reconstructed and later demolished after they could not be repaired.
In ruins, no period guns or mounts in place.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 2417281
Visited: 15 Aug 2010