Battery Wiltsie (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery first established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Battery Wiltsie in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Captain Wendell D. Wiltsie, 20th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, who was mortally wounded during the siege and who died on 27 Nov 1863. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Wiltsie
Battery Wiltsie was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Battery was hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located west of Gay Street. Configured for eight gun platforms.
Battery Wiltsie was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, one marker on the left side of Immaculate Conception Church.
Visited: 21 May 2016