Fort Logan (1)
Fort Logan (1) (1869-1880) - Established as Camp Baker by a company of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry 30 Nov 1869 and named for Maj. Eugene M. Baker (Cullum 1836), 2nd U.S. Cavalry. Designated Fort Logan 30 Dec 1878 and named after Capt. William Logan, 7th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in the Battle of Big Hole 9 Aug 1877. Abandoned 27 Oct 1880 and sold at auction 4 Jun 1881.
Camp Baker was originally a sub-post of Fort Benton (1) and was sited on the west bank of the Smith River and operated from 1869 to 1870. The second site was located about 10 miles south of the first location and was active (1870-1880). The fort was established to provide protection for local mining camps and the Benton freight route from hostile Indians.
The cemetery record for the fort cemetery indicates eight interments, two citizens, one laundress, three privates, a hospital steward, and a first sergeant who committed suicide in 1878. All of the interred were moved to the Custer Battlefield Cemetery in 1931.
The fort was abandoned on 27 Oct 1880 and sold at auction on 4 Jun 1881.
There are no traces of Camp Baker at the first location. At the second location, a blockhouse remains on private property. The blockhouse was restored in 1924 and dedicated to posterity by the Helena Chapter of the DAR. The blockhouse was moved from its original position to the center of the parade ground in 1962. Fort Logan and the blockhouse were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 as site #70000360.
Visited: 19 May 2010