Fort Collins (1)
Fort Collins (1) (1863-1867) - First established near Laport in 1863 by the 1st Colorado Cavalry as Camp Collins. Relocated after being flooded out to the location of the present-day town of Fort Collins. Named 23 Oct 1864 after Ltc. William O. Collins, 11th Ohio Cavalry, commander of Fort Laramie. Abandoned in 1867.
First established on the Poudre River near the present-day town of Laporte to protect local settlers and the Overland Stage Route from hostile Indians. Camp Laporte was washed out by a flood on 9 Jun 1864 and subsequently rebuilt on higher ground in the present-day town of Fort Collins by Capt. William H. Evans and the 11th Ohio Cavalry. On 23 Oct 1864, the post was renamed Fort Collins for Ltc. William O. Collins. Ltc. Collins was the post commander at Fort Laramie and the father of Lt. Caspar Collins for whom Fort Casper was named.
The post was abandoned in1867 and transferred to the Department of the Interior on 16 Jul 1872 for disposition.
Visited: 10 Jun 2010