Camp Crittenden (1868-1873) - First established 4 Mar 1868 by Captain Stephen G. Whipple and first garrisoned by Company H and K, 32nd U.S. Infantry and Company C and K, 1st U.S. Cavalry. Named after Colonel Thomas L. Crittenden, 32nd U.S. Infantry. Abandoned in 1873. Also known as Fort Critternden.
Established to protect settlers from hostile Indian attacks in 1868. The site was abandoned on 1 Jun 1873 because it was unhealthy.
Roadside marker only in Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
Visited: 9 Mar 2015, 2 Nov 2009