Camp Grant (6)
Camp Grant (6) (1863-1865) - A U.S. Civil War era Camp established in 1863 by Captain John P. Simpson and Company E of the 1st California Volunteer Battalion of Mountaineers. The camp was located near Dyerville, Humboldt County, California. Named Camp Grant after Ulysses S. Grant who was posted at Fort Humboldt in 1854. The camp was abandoned in 1865.
Established in October 1863 on the upper Eel River three miles east of Dyerville in Humboldt County, California. Dyerville no longer exists but the location is known. Captain John P. Simpson with Company E of the 1st California Volunteer Battalion of Mountaineers established the camp.
Captain Simpson and his troops captured 166 hostile Indians, who were placed on the Round Valley Reservation in 1864.
The site was probably abandoned sometime before Company E was mustered out at Fort Humboldt on 14 Jun 1865.
Unknown, actual site not known.
Visited: 6 May 2019