Camp Nye (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Camp first established in 1862 near Carson City, Nevada. Named Camp Nye after James W. Nye, Governor of Nevada (1861-1864). Abandoned in 1865.
Established in June 1862 by California Volunteers and later garrisoned by companies "D" and "E", 1st Battalion Nevada Volunteer Cavalry in October 1864.
Abandoned 10 Sep 1865 with the muster out of the Nevada volunteers (last post return).
Marker only near Carson City, Nevada.
Location: Kings Canyon Road, 2.5 miles west of the
Capitol Building in Carson City, Nevada.
Maps & Images
Lat: 9.16463 Long: -119.80463
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 4,951'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 493
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 94
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 848027
Visited: 18 Mar 2014