History of Camp Ross
A War of 1812 supply Camp established in 1812 near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The post was situated at the mouth of Chattanooga Creek at the Moccasin Bend in the Tennessee River.
Camp Ross was used to support Tennessee troops during the Creek Indian War with the Red Stick faction of the Creek tribes. Andrew Jackson defeated the Red Sticks at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend and the resulting Treaty of Fort Jackson (1814) ended the conflict.
Abandoned circa 1813.
Marker only. This marker is located on busy Cummings Road overlooking the site vicinity. Accessing the marker is difficult and risky because there are no sidewalks or shoulders along this part of the roadway. The site itself is probably overbuilt with Interstate 24 and railroad tracks along the river bank.
Visited: 29 Apr 2016