Camp San Luis Obispo
Camp San Luis Obispo (1928-Present) - A California National Guard Camp established in 1928 as Camp Merriam in San Luis Obispo County, California. The camp was leased by the federal government during World War II and renamed Camp San Luis Obispo in 1940. The camp was inactivated in 1946 and reactivated for the Korean War in 1951. Deactivated on 15 Nov 1953 and returned to the state. Active military installation.
Known as the original home of the modern day California National Guard. First established in 1928 as 5,800 acre Camp Merriam near San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California. The camp was expanded to some 15,953 acres and leased by the federal government during World War II. Additional construction expanded the capacity of the camp to 1,523 officers and 19,383 enlisted personnel during the war. The camp was deactivated in 1946 after the end of World War II and federally reactivated for the Korean War in 1951. The camp was deactivated on 15 Nov 1953 after the Korean War truce was signed. The post was returned to the State of California for use by the California National Guard.
Active National Guard Military Installation near San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County, California. Buildings from many periods. A museum building and an open air aviation museum.
Location: Camp San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 35.3252517 Long: -120.7164325
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 91
Visited: 26 Nov 2012