Camp Sonoma (1836-1858) - A Mexican Presidio established in 1836 as Presidio of Sonoma by Lt. Colonel Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, Commandant of the Northern Frontier in present day Sonoma, Sonoma County, California. Taken over by U.S. forces in 1846 as Camp Sonoma and renamed Sonoma Barracks in 1847. Garrisoned intermittently until 1858. Also known as Sonoma Post.
Mexican Period (1836-1846)
The Presidio of Sonoma was Mexican Presidio established in 1836 by Lt. Colonel Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, Commandant of the Northern Frontier. The post was established to control hostile Indians and block any Russian expansion from Fort Ross. The garrison numbered some 40 men in a two story adobe barracks building.
American Period (1846-1858)
On 14 Jun 1846 American settlers, unaware that the Mexican War had begun, revolted against the Mexican Government and took over Camp Sonoma, capturing General Vallejo and imprisoning him at Sutter's Fort. The rebels declared the California Republic and adopted the "Bear Flag". Major John C. Fremont USA had arrived before the rebellion with sixty U.S. soldiers on an exploration mission and he joined the revolt. News that the Mexican War had started did not reach Sonoma until 9 July 1846 when Navy Lieutenant Joseph W. Revere arrived from Commodore Stockton's fleet and raised the American Flag ending the California Republic.
Sonoma Barracks was established 4 Apr 1847 and was garrisoned intermittently until 16 Oct 1851. In 1852 a military post was established and garrisoned until 1858.
Part of Sonoma State Historic Site in Sonoma, Sonoma County, California. The restored barracks building and servants quarters remain as well as the courtyard.
Visited: 30 Aug 2009