Camp Villere (1942-Active) - A World War II Camp established in 1942 near Slidell, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. Named Camp Villere after Jacques Philippe Villere, a Louisiana State Militia major general during the War of 1812 and the state's second governor. Active National Guard camp known as Camp Villere National Guard Training Center or Camp Villere NGTC.
The camp was established as a WWII small arms range for the trainees at Camp Plauche at New Orleans. After the war, it was used by both the Army and the Louisiana National Guard. In the 1960s it was converted into the tactical training center for the troops at Camp Leroy Johnson.
The 1,710-acre camp area contained barracks, mess hall, gun ranges, and an airfield.
Active Louisiana National Guard post. Now approximately 1,850 acres, with approximately 1,500 acres protected and preserved through an agreement with the Nature Conservancy.
Visited: 12 Oct 2020