Camp Withers (1862-1864) - A U.S. Civil War Confederate Camp established in 1862 near Gulf Shores, Baldwin County, Alabama. Named Camp Withers after the former Mayor of Mobile Jones M. Withers. The camp was abandoned after the Battle of Mobile Bay in 1864.
Camp Withers was a Confederate U.S. Civil War camp established in May 1862 near Gulf Shores, Baldwin County, Alabama. It served as a central point for coordinating Confederate picket activities along the Alabama coast and for observing Union manuvers and movements.
The camp housed members of the Home Guard, City Troop A, commanded by Captain Edmund T. Arrington. The unit was later incorporated into Company F, 15th Alabama Cavalry Regiment. The Camp remained active until the Battle of Mobile Bay in August 1864.
Visited: 1 Oct 2021