Fort Brooke (1824-1882, 1898) - First established 22 Jan 1824 by Col. George M. Brooke and four companies of the 4th U.S. Infantry. Initially named Cantonment Brooke and renamed Fort Brooke in 1835. Officially abandoned 21 Dec 1882 but reoccupied briefly in 1898.
Established after the Treaty of Camp Moultrie that established a Seminole Indian Reservation in 1823. Fort Brooke was a major Florida post during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842) and served as an embarkation point for the removal of the Seminoles to the Indian Territory. Maj. Francis Dade and his entire command of over 100 men were massacred in 1835 as they traveled from Fort Brooke to Fort King. In 1841 the fort had as many as 680 men assigned. After the end of the Second Seminole War in 1842, the fort continued to be garrisoned until 1860.
During the U.S. Civil War Fort Brooke was occupied by Confederate forces (1863-1864) and recaptured by Union forces in 1864. After the end of the war, the post was used as a seasonal camp for troops from Key West Barracks until abandoned in 1882. The post was formally abandoned about 21 Dec 1882 at the direction of the Department of the South, S.O. 120 dated 13 Dec 1882.
During the Spanish American War (1898) Army troops camped here while awaiting embarkation for transport to Cuba.
Fort Brooke City Park is located at the approximate site of old Fort Brooke. The park contains several markers detailing the history and events surrounding Fort Brooke. Two 24 pounder cannons reportedly from Fort Brooke are mounted on replica carriages. The cannons are located at Plant Park on the University of Tampa Campus.
Visited: 22 Dec 2009