Camp Chehalis (1860-1861) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1860 by Captain Maurice Maloney, 4th U.S. Infantry, near present-day Westport, Grays Harbor County, Washington. Abandoned in 1861. Also known as Fort Chehalis.
A temporary U.S. Army Camp established by Captain Maurice Maloney, 4th U.S. Infantry, on 11 Feb 1860 near the mouth of the Chehalis River. The post was initially established to provide protection for settlers and later reoccupied to protect the Indian Agent while the Indian agency was being built.
Abandoned on 19 Jun 1861 but temporarily reoccupied in August 1861 by 2nd Lieutenant Campbell D. Emory (Cullum 1925), 9th U.S. Infantry, until the end of 1861.
Marker only, no remains of fort/camp near Westport, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
Location: Westport, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
Map point is approximate (from Hart).
Maps & Images
Lat: 46.8938 Long: -124.105
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: .....'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 830
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 182
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 172
Visited: 16 Sep 2015