Fort Comstock (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1863 on Summit Hill in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Fort Comstock in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Lt Colonel Lorin L. Comstock, 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, who was killed during the siege of Knoxville. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Comstock
Fort Comstock was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Fort was hastily established in 1863 on Summit Hill to counter the Confederate threat to the city. Located on Summit Hill near the railroad depot.
Abandoned in 1865.
Visited: 21 May 2016