Fort Francisco Plaza
Fort Francisco Plaza (1862-1866) - A U.S. Civil War era settlers fort established in 1862 in present-day La Veta, Huerfano County, Colorado. Named after John M. Francisco who established the post. Abandoned as a fortification in 1866 but continuously in use since then.
Established in 1862 by Colonel (honorary) John M. Francisco and Henry Daigre as a settler Indian defense and trading post.
The fort was built as a one-story adobe structure enclosing three sides of a 100-foot square. The fourth side was stockaded.
It later became the local Denver and Rio Grande Railroad terminal after the branch line was built (circa 1876).
The now remaining portions of the original structures are combined with later modifications and additional buildings into the Francisco Fort Museum complex. The collections within the museum span the life of the fort structures and include collections and artifacts of Hispanic and Indian cultures as well as the mining and ranching history of the area. The plaza contains a round leaf cottonwood tree planted by Colonel Francisco in 1878.
Visited: 21 Aug 2019