Fort Hancock
(Did you mean a different Fort Hancock)
Fort Hancock (1857-1972) - Sandy Hook peninsula was purchased by the Federal Government in several distinct parcels between 1806 and 1846. Construction started in 1857 for a large granite fort of the Third System Fort at Sandy Hook, located at Sandy Hook, Monmouth County, New Jersey. Renamed Fort Hancock in G.O. 57, 30 Oct 1895, after General Winfield Scott Hancock (Cullum 1223). Fort Hancock closed 31 Dec 1974 and transferred to the Department of the Interior, National Park Service. In 1982 the entire Sandy Hook peninsula was declared the "Fort Hancock Sandy Hook Proving Ground National Historic Landmark". Also known as Sandy Hook Fort.
-
Fort Hancock Bldg. 12, 1899 Commanding Officer Quarters
-
Fort Hancock Bldg. 22, 1899 Restored Barracks
-
Bachelor Officers Quarters Bldg #27
-
NCO Quarters Bldg #97
-
Fort Hancock Parade North End Officer Quarters, BOQ and Headquarters
Third System (1816-1867)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York. Established to provide protection to U.S. shipping and to guard an important shipping channel into New York Harbor.
The original Third System Fort at Sandy Hook (1857-1885) was never completed. A new Endicott Period fort was established in 1892 and named Fort Hancock in 1895.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)

The Endicott Period began at Fort Hancock with the construction of two prototype batteries beginning in 1890. Battery Reynolds was a 12" sixteen mortar battery originally known as Sandy Hook Mortar Battery built between 1891-1894. Battery Potter was the first 12" disappearing gun battery built in the U.S., originally known as Gun Lift Battery 1 built between 1890-1894. Both of these batteries featured some sort of landside defense features which were not adopted in later batteries. The next round of batteries built at Fort Hancock built upon the lessons learned from the initial batteries and reflected a shift of disappearing gun technology from the steam-powered gun lift to the newer Buffington-Croizer counterweight carriages. Battery Halleck was begun in 1896 as a seven-gun battery built on top of the east wall of the old U.S. Civil War fort. It was later expanded to a nine-gun battery serving as a prototype of the main gun line concept and in 1904 was administratively divided into four batteries (Battery Halleck, Battery Alexander, Battery Bloomfield and Battery Richardson). Battery Granger was built between 1896-1898 as the second 10" gun battery with the newer Buffington-Croizer counterweight carriages. After the completion of the main gun line, the remaining batteries built were separate batteries, 6" caliber and under.
| Battery | No. | Caliber | Type Mount | Service Years | Battery Cost | Notes | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Battery Dynamite | 2 1 |
15" 8" |
Pneumatic | 1896-1902 | $ ? | USCG Shooting Range Mine Casemate 1921 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Potter | 2 | 12" | Gun-lift | 1890-1894-1898-1907 | $ 357,100 | Advanced HECP #1 1943 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery McCook | 8 | 12" | Mortar | 1891-1894-1898-1920 | $ 138,371 | HDCP 1943 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Reynolds | 8 | 12" | Mortar | 1891-1894-1898-1920 | $ 138,371 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Alexander | 2 | 12" | Disappearing | 1898-1898-1899-1943 | $ 94,228 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Bloomfield | 2 | 12" | Disappearing | 1898-1899-1899-1943 | $ 94,228 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Richardson | 2 | 12" | Disappearing | 1902-1904-1904-1944 | $ 100,000 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Halleck | 3 | 10" | Disappearing | 1896-1899-1900-1942 | $ 73,843 | #1 removed 1918 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Granger | 2 | 10" | Disappearing | 1896-1898-1898-1943 | $ 87,000 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Arrowsmith | 3 | 8" | Disappearing | 1905-1909-1909-1920 | $ 63,500 | Part destroyed | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Peck | 2 | 6" | Pedestal | 1901-1903-1903-1946 | $ 33,940 | Guns & Carriages relocated to Battery Gunnison in 1943 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Gunnison | 2 | 6" | Disappearing | 1903-1905-1905-1943 | $ 45,000 | Rebuilt for Battery Peck guns | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Engle | 1 | 5" | Balance Pillar | 1898-1917 | $ 4,700 | CRF built on emplacement | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Urmston | 6 | 3" | Masking Parapet Pedestal Mount |
1899-1903-1903-1944 | $ 25,400 | 2 guns replaced with M1903 | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Battery Morris | 4 | 3" | Pedestal | 1903-1904-1904-1946 | $ 23,000 | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Source: CDSG
The initial plan for post buildings to support the garrison was developed by Capt. Arthur Murray in 1896 and by 1899 the first phase of post construction was complete. The post included four 80 man barracks, 38 officers quarters, a 50-bed hospital, a bakery, bachelor officers quarters, guardhouse and support buildings. The post was aligned around a parade ground with the 38 officers quarters along the west side of the parade ground, all facing the bay. The four barracks buildings were aligned along the east side of the parade ground also facing the bay. At the north end of the parade ground were the bachelor officers quarters (BOQ) and the administration building The post was first garrisoned in early 1898 as the Spanish-American War began. The permanent buildings on the post were not yet complete and many of the units were housed in tents. The garrison began to occupy the new quarters at the end of 1898 and the beginning of 1899. Initially designed as a four company post, it was expanded in 1907 to six companies and a new 218 man double barracks was constructed to house the enlarged garrison. The capacity of the four original barracks was also expanded to 109 men by constructing a separate building for the mess hall and converting that space to quarters.
World War I (1917-1918)In early 1917 construction was started on two new 12" gun batteries on the bay side of Sandy Hook at Horseshoe Cove. Battery Mills and Battery Kingman were almost identical, open plan, 12" batteries with each having two open gun emplacements separated by a large earth covered concrete magazine. The open nature of the gun emplacements allowed a theoretical 360-degree field of fire with an ARF carriage and an elevation between zero and 35 degrees. This configuration gave the guns a higher arc trajectory and longer range than the same guns mounted in disappearing carriages. The drawback of the open plan was that the gun and crew are totally exposed to hostile fire and aircraft. These two batteries were not completed until well after the end of the war in 1921. The six-company capacity of Fort Hancock was quickly exceeded in the run-up to World War I and by the end of 1917 seven additional cantonments were completed to providing housing for 1,792 enlisted men and 42 officers. The quarters and support buildings included twenty-seven, 66 man barracks and 28 sets of officer quarter all of temporary batten and tar paper construction. Even before these temporary cantonments were complete an additional regiment was posted to Fort Hancock for training prior to shipment overseas and the post quickly exceeded its capacity and additional structures were built. The crowding at Fort Hancock continued even after the end of the war as the post processed returnees for discharge through March 1919. Demobilization was rapid and by June 1919 the post was reduced to caretaker status.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||


