Fort Jesup (1822-1846) - A U.S. Army post established in May 1822 as Cantonment Jesup in present day Sabine Parish, Louisiana. Named Fort Jesup on 3 Jun 1833 after Brigadier General Thomas Sidney Jesup, "Father of the Modern Quartermaster Corps". Abandoned in 1846.
Established in May 1822 to protect the then U.S. - Spanish border and used as a staging area for U.S. troops operating in Mexico after Texas Revolution (1835-1836).
The post was abandoned in Jan 1846 as the frontier moved further west and Texas became a state (1845). All the improvements were put up for public sale.
Fort Jesup State Historic Site, reconstructed Officer's Quarters/Museum. The Officer's Quarters/Museum was closed because of budget constraints. The kitchen was the only remaining original building. Flush mounted stone markers identify the locations of other missing buildings.
Visited: 8 Apr 2016