Fort La Barge
Fort La Barge (1862-1863) - A fortified fur trading post established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War by Joseph La Barge and James Harkness of the La Barge, Harkness & Company of St. Louis in the present-day town of Fort Benton Chouteau County, Montana. Abandoned in 1863 and sold to the American Fur Company. Also spelled Fort LaBarge.
Joseph La Barge and his partner James Harkness arrived at Fort Benton (1) on 17 Jun 1862 aboard their "Emilie", the first side-wheeler steamboat to reach Fort Benton. La Barge and Harkness established Fort La Barge as a 300' by 200' fortified trading post on the bank of the Missouri River. La Barge's wife drove the first stake and his daughter the second stake outlining the fort. The post was laid out in a "U" shape with the open end facing the river.
A two-sided marker is located in the park at 10th and River Streets in the town of Fort Benton, Chouteau County, Montana. The actual site may be further south of the marker location.
Visited: 26 Sep 2013