Fort Laguna Chapala
Fort Laguna Chapala (1825-1826) - A short-lived Mexican Fort established in 1825 near the present day City of El Centro, Imperial County, California by troops under Lieutenant Romualdo Pacheco. Abandoned in 1826. Also known as Fort Romualdo Pacheco.
Established in December 1825 by Mexican cavalry troops under Lieutenant Romualdo Pacheco from the Presidio of San Diego. The small fort was built as a 100' square adobe structure.
On 26 April 1826 Indians employed to construct the fort revolted and attacked the garrison. Lieutenant Pacheco returned from a visit to San Diego just in time to reinforce the garrison with 25 cavalry lancers and the garrison was saved. Six troopers and twenty-five Indians were killed in the battle. The conflict forced the Mexicans troops to abandon the fort and return to the Presidio of San Diego, the fort was never re-garrisoned.
Site and marker base. The actual marker plaque is missing, text below:
"In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-1826, the only Mexican fort in Alta California. On April 26, 1826, Kumeyaay Indians attacked the fort, killing three soldiers and wounding three others. Pacheco abandoned the fort, removing soldiers to San Diego. "
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 944
In our 2019 visit the site was blocked by stacked wooden boxes that turned out to be bee hives. It was not possible to exit the car for a closer examination of the site. The marker was still gone.
Visited: 7 Apr 2019