Fort Magruder (1)
Fort Magruder (1) (1863-1864) - A Confederate earthworks post established in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War by Major Julius Kellersberg, CSA, in Travis County, Texas. Named after Major General John Bankhead Magruder, commander of Texas Confederate forces. Abandoned in 1864.
A hastly built CSA post constructed on the south side of Austin, Texas. The defense was started as Union troops were moving north toward Austin. The L-shaped earthwork was dug for the fort by donated slaves. The Union troops were diverted to Louisiana for a campaign into that state and the works was never fully completed and Austin was not attacked. The L shaped works measured 260' by 470' with the east-west trench being the longest work. The 260' north-south trench faced the old San Antonio Road (now South Congress Avenue). The post was abandoned in 1864.
Marker only, the site is on private property in the City of Austin, Travis County, Texas. The marker is located in front of the U.S. Post Office drive thru at 3903 Congress Avenue.
Visited: 12 Nov 2011