Fort Supply (1)
Fort Supply (1) (1853-1857) - First established in 1853 by Mormon Captains John Nebeker and Isaac Bullock in present day Uinta County, Wyoming (then Utah Territory). Abandoned and destroyed in 1857.
Established in 1853 as a high stockaded post to provide supplies for Mormon travelers to Utah Territory. Mormon Captains John Nebeker and Isaac Bullock built the post about 12 miles from Fort Bridger in present day Uinta County, Wyoming (then Utah Territory). The high cost of supplying Mormon immigrants by sending supplies to Fort Bridger led to the establishment of Fort Supply where it was hoped that settlers would be able to raise crops to supply the immigrants. In 1855 the Mormons purchased Fort Bridger and both posts continued to operate as supply depots for westward bound immigrants.
U.S. General Albert Sidney Johnston led a punitive expedition against the Mormons in the Utah Territory during the Utah War in 1857. As U.S. forces approached Fort Bridger and Fort Supply the Mormons burned both posts to the ground to prevent their use by U.S. troops. Fort Bridger was rebuilt as a U.S. Army post but Fort Supply was not rebuilt.
Roadside marker only near Robertson, Uinta County, Wyoming.
Visited: 16 Sep 2011