Fort Tyson (1856-1856) - A privately owned fortification established in 1856 in the present-day town of Quartzsite in La Paz County, Arizona. Named Fort Tyson after the owner Charles Tyson who fortified this property. Also known as Tyson's Wells.
Fort Tyson was a privately owned fortification built in 1856 for protection against hostile Mohave Indians. The property was for a time a stagecoach way station and provided one of the few water wells in the area. Because of the well, Tyson's Wells became a stage station on the road from Prescott to Ehrenburg on the Colorado River.
The site is a derelict building on private property with no signage or other identifying information. On the south side of U.S. Route 95, a bit further east is the Tyson's Well Stage Station Museum with some additional information.
Visited: 2 Apr 2022