Fort de Repentigny
Fort de Repentigny (1751-1762) - A French colonial Fort established in 1751 by French Captain Louis le Gardeur de Repentigny in present day Sault St. Marie, Chippawa County, Michigan. Named for Captain Louis le Gardeur de Repentigny. Came under the control of the British in 1760 during the French & Indian War. Destroyed by fire and abandoned in 1762. Also known as Fort Chevalier de Repentigny.
Established in the late summer of 1751 by French Captain Louis le Gardeur de Repentigny to protect the French fur trade on the Great Lakes.
Captain Repentigny and his hired men cut 1,100 wooden pickets and timber for three large houses over the winter to be erected in the spring. The fort was built as a 110' square palisade enclosing four houses.
In 1760 during the French & Indian War the fort was captured by the British and held by them until it was destroyed by fire and abandoned on 22 Dec 1762.
Markers only in Brady Park, Sault St. Marie, Chippawa County, Michigan