Fort Genoa (1849-1861) - Established in 1849 as a trading post by two Mormon Battalion members, Abner Blackburn and Hampton Beatie in present-day Douglas County, Nevada. Relocated and expanded into a permanent post by John Reese and Stephen Kinsey in 1851. Abandoned in 1857 when Brigham Young recalled all Mormons back to Salt Lake City. From 1860-1861 it was a Pony Express station. Abandoned in 1861. Also known as Mormon Station, Genoa Stockade or Genoa Fort.
The original trading post was a log stockade known as Mormon Station built as a supply station for passing California emigrants. The post was relocated and expanded in 1851 with a bigger stockade covering more than an acre with a large log building, a blacksmith shop, and a livery stable. A flour mill and sawmills were nearby. The town of Genoa became the county seat of what was then Carson County. In 1857 the Mormons departed the area and moved back to Salt Lake City. The trading post became a Pony Express station during the short life of the Pony Express (1860-1861) and was abandoned after the Pony Express ceased operation.
The second stockade burned down in 1910 but has been reconstructed in the Mormon Station State Historical Park.
Mormon Station State Historical Park, Douglas County, Nevada. Includes a replica stockade and a museum.
Visited: 18 Mar 2014