Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo
Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo (1720-1824) - A fortified Franciscan Spanish Mission established in 1720 by decree of the governor of Coahuila and Texas in present day Bexar County, Texas. Formally closed by the Franciscans in 1824.
The founding ceremonies for the mission were held on 23 Feb 1720. The mission concept included bringing Indians into the mission and organizing a Christian community with the Indian leaders functioning as the leaders of the community. The priest was responsible for the religious instruction and care of the community, two soldiers were originally assigned for protection. Additional protection was provided by soldiers stationed at the nearby Presidio San Antonio de Bexar.
The mission was built as a rectangle with the outer walls constructed of stone and stone apartments lined the walls on three sides. The stone church and church quarters occupied the back of the compound. A granary and a grist mill were also located at the back of the compound. A single bastion provided protection for the main entrance. The soldiers quarters were built along the fourth side in back of the church. The missions were among the strongest fortifications built in texas.
In 1768 at the peak of the missions growth, the population numbered 350 Indians housed in 84, two room apartments. In the 104 years of operation, over 2,000 Indians were baptized.
Mission San Jose was formally closed on 29 Feb 1824 when the mission was secularized and all the church property turned over to the community.
The Franciscans returned to the mission in 1931. The restoration of the mission began in the 1930s and continues today. The U.S. Congress created the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in 1978 and operates the missions in a cooperative relationship with the Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio. Worship services continue today.
Part of San Antonio Missions National Historic Park, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas.
Visited: 23 Nov 2011