New York Arsenal
New York Arsenal (1833-1920) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1833 on Governors Island, New York County, New York. Initial construction under the supervision of Captain J.L. Smith, Captain of Engineers. Abandoned as an arsenal in 1920.
The New York Arsenal was established on Governors island in 1833 and located between the main docks and Fort Jay in a fairly compact space of 6.5 acres. The arsenal was below the range of Fort Jay and directly below the main entrance. Structures included two ordnance storehouses, the 1839 Arsenal Commanding Officer's quarters, two sets of officer's quarters, the main arsenal building with its clock tower and several other storage and workshop buildings.
Abandoned as an arsenal in 1920.
Adjacent to Fort Jay on Governors Island, New York County, New York. Seven buildings from the Arsenal period remain.
Visited: 15 Aug 2010