Redoubt 4 - West Point
Redoubt 4 - West Point (1779-1783) - A Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 on the present day military reservation of the United States Military Academy in Orange County, New York. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1783.
Part of Fortress West Point.
Initially designed as a classic hexagonal redoubt by Colonel Thaddeus Kosciusko but built out with an inverted angle facing west toward the path of enemy approach. The northeast and southeast walls each contained a single embrasure and two 6-pounder cannon were placed at these positions. Both of the cannons had a field of fire down on the West Point Plain for support of Fort Putnam below.
Described by Major General Benedict Arnold on 25 Sept 1780: “... a wooden work about ten feet high and four or five feet thick, the west side faced with a stone wall 8 feet high and four thick. No bomb proof, two six pounders, a slight abbatis, a commanding piece of ground 500 yards west.” It was designed to be manned by some 223 soldiers.
Stabilized remains on the military reservation of the United States Military Academy, Orange County, New York. Site access via dirt road off of Hamilton Street. Active military installation, access may be limited.
Visited: 30 May 2013