Spokane House (1810-1826) - A North West Company trading post/fort first established in 1810 near the confluence of the Little Spokane and the Spokane Rivers in Spokane County, Washington. Became a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) post when the North West Company and the HBC merged in 1821. Abandoned in 1826 for the HBC's Fort Colvile.
Established in 1810 by David Thompson as a North West Company trading post/fort on the east bank of the Spokane River near its confluence with the Little Spokane River. In 1812 the rival Pacific Fur Company built a competing post, Fort Spokane, nearby and they both operated independently until 13 Jun 1813 when the War of 1812 made it prudent for the Pacific Fur Company (American) to sell its post to the North West Company (British) before it could be taken over by the British. The new owners moved into the larger Fort Spokane and renamed it Spokane House.
The North West Company operated the post until 1821 when they merged with the Hudson's Bay Company under the HBC name. The post was then enlarged to a 130' by 122' stockaded fort and operated until 1826 when it was abandoned for the new post at Fort Colvile.
Part of Riverside State Park in Spokane County, Washington. The post location is outlined at the park. Archeological digs were carried out at the Spokane House site in 1950-53 and 1962-63. The exact location of the original 1810 Spokane House has not been determined.
Visited: 16 May 2010
Spokane House Picture Gallery