Benicia Military Reservation: Difference between revisions
Bill Thayer (talk | contribs) m typo |
John Stanton (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
||
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{PageHeader}} | |||
{{SocialNetworks}} | {{SocialNetworks}} | ||
'''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1849-1964) - A U.S. Army military reservation established in 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) [[Silas Casey]] and two companies of the [[2nd U.S. Infantry]] in present day Benicia, Solano County, California. Closed in 1962 and sold in 1964. | '''{{PAGENAME}}''' (1849-1964) - A U.S. Army military reservation established in 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) [[Silas Casey]] and two companies of the [[2nd U.S. Infantry]] in present day Benicia, Solano County, California. Closed in 1962 and sold in 1964. | ||
{|{{FWpicframe}} | {|{{FWpicframe}} | ||
|- valign="top" | |- valign="top" | ||
|width="50%"|<!--[[Image:.jpg| | |width="50%"|<!--[[Image:.jpg|350px|thumb|left|Benicia Military Reservation]]--> | ||
|width="50%"|<!--[[Image:.jpg| | |width="50%"|<!--[[Image:.jpg|350px|thumb|right|Benicia Military Reservation]]--> | ||
|- | |- | ||
|colspan="2"|[[File:Benica Arsenal Loc 00001a.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Benicia Arsenal Plan]] | |colspan="2"|[[File:Benica Arsenal Loc 00001a.jpg|795px|thumb|center|Benicia Arsenal Plan]] | ||
|} | |} | ||
== | == History == | ||
[[File:Benicia Resv Loc 019145pu.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Benicia Military Reservation 1864 Plan]] | [[File:Benicia Resv Loc 019145pu.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Benicia Military Reservation 1864 Plan]] | ||
See also [[Benicia Barracks]] and [[Benicia Arsenal]]. | See also [[Benicia Barracks]] and [[Benicia Arsenal]]. | ||
Established in 1849 with a 345 acre land transfer to the U.S. from Dr. [[Robert Semple]] and [[Thomas Larkin]], founders of the town of Benicia. First occupied on 30 Apr 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) [[Silas Casey]] and two companies of the [[2nd U.S. Infantry]]. President [[Abraham Lincoln]] designated it a Military Reservation on 7 Oct 1862, separating it from the public lands. Between 1849 and 1958 an additional 1,790 fee acres, 351 public domain acres, 580 easement acres and 6 license acres for a total of 2,728 acres. The acquired property included 190 acres on Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay. | Established in 1849 with a 345-acre land transfer to the U.S. from Dr. [[Robert Semple]] and [[Thomas Larkin]], founders of the town of Benicia. First occupied on 30 Apr 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) [[Silas Casey]] and two companies of the [[2nd U.S. Infantry]]. President [[Abraham Lincoln]] designated it a Military Reservation on 7 Oct 1862, separating it from the public lands. Between 1849 and 1958 an additional 1,790 fee acres, 351 public domain acres, 580 easement acres and 6 license acres for a total of 2,728 acres. The acquired property included 190 acres on Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay. | ||
{{BeniciaReservation}} | {{BeniciaReservation}} | ||
Line 24: | Line 24: | ||
== Current Status == | == Current Status == | ||
Property is city owned and leased to Benicia Inc. for 66 years in Benicia, Solano County, California. | Property is city owned and leased to Benicia Inc. for 66 years in Benicia, Solano County, California. | ||
---- | ---- | ||
{| | {| | ||
| | | | ||
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="38.054036" lon="-122.135561" zoom="14" width="500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | <googlemap version="0.9" lat="38.054036" lon="-122.135561" zoom="14" width="-500" height="-500" scale="yes" overview="yes" controls="large" icons="http://www.fortwiki.com/mapicons/icon{label}.png"> | ||
(F) 38.054036, -122.135561, Benicia Military Reservation | (F) 38.054036, -122.135561, Benicia Military Reservation | ||
(1849-1964) | (1849-1964) | ||
Line 74: | Line 58: | ||
* {{Roberts}}, page 62 | * {{Roberts}}, page 62 | ||
* {{Mansfield}}, page 155 | * {{Mansfield}}, page 155 | ||
* {{GNIS|ID=1702164}} | |||
'''Links:''' | '''Links:''' | ||
Line 101: | Line 86: | ||
[[Category:2014 Research Trip]] | [[Category:2014 Research Trip]] | ||
[[Category:Military Reservations]] | [[Category:Military Reservations]] | ||
[[Category:California Military Reservations]] |
Latest revision as of 15:21, 29 April 2019
Benicia Military Reservation (1849-1964) - A U.S. Army military reservation established in 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) Silas Casey and two companies of the 2nd U.S. Infantry in present day Benicia, Solano County, California. Closed in 1962 and sold in 1964.
History![]() See also Benicia Barracks and Benicia Arsenal. Established in 1849 with a 345-acre land transfer to the U.S. from Dr. Robert Semple and Thomas Larkin, founders of the town of Benicia. First occupied on 30 Apr 1849 by Captain (Bvt. Lt. Colonel) Silas Casey and two companies of the 2nd U.S. Infantry. President Abraham Lincoln designated it a Military Reservation on 7 Oct 1862, separating it from the public lands. Between 1849 and 1958 an additional 1,790 fee acres, 351 public domain acres, 580 easement acres and 6 license acres for a total of 2,728 acres. The acquired property included 190 acres on Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay. The U.S. Army built several installations on Benicia Military Reservation:
The Arsenal expanded during the U.S. Civil War and became a distribution center for the Army on the west coast and a supplier for east coast arsenals. With the closure of Benicia Barracks in 1898 the military reservation and Benicia Arsenal became the same entity. The post facilities expanded during the construction and operation of the large caliber Endicott Period coastal defense fortifications on the west coast, for World War II and the Korean War. The reservation was designated for closure in 1962 and the closure plan was completed by April 1962. The reservation was transferred to the City of Benicia in 1964 for $6,000,000. The City then leased the property to Benecia Inc. for development.
Current StatusProperty is city owned and leased to Benicia Inc. for 66 years in Benicia, Solano County, California.
Sources:
Visited: 16 Nov 2013 |